Have you ever imagined that you’d need a fortune to start your own self-hosted blog?
I used to think so!
Did you ever thought you’d have to be a “web-coding” specialist before you could publish your blog?
That’s exactly what I thought!
But what if there was a method for you to create a self-hosted blog from the ground up without any prior understanding of HTML (Hyper Text Mark Up Language) coding or other nerve-racking technical jargon?
You’re in luck because that’s precisely what I’m going to show you (in this post) in a step-by-step approach, complete with basic screen photos to help you along the way.
In fact, if you follow this guide, you’ll get the following:
- A free domain name registration for life without paying a dime which is worth over $15 per month.
- A brand new WordPress blog in 30 minutes without any prior knowledge of coding.
- A free copy of my best selling book, The 5-Day WordPress School – How To Become A WordPress Website Designer In 5 Days Or Less
I know you can’t wait to jump right into the guide but hold on… just a second!
Allow me to tell you a little story that you would find fascinating…
I was once like you, a total rookie who knew nothing about website design and didn’t even have a blog.
I sought advise and assistance from every nook and cranny of the internet: Google, Facebook groups, forums, and so on, but I never received a useful guide.
It was aggravating.
Worse, most of the so-called “experts” I contacted were fraudsters seeking for new methods to defraud newcomers out of their money.
Can you picture it?
Fortunately for me, a mentor (to whom I will be eternally grateful) came to my aid and promised to assist me.
Fast forward to today, I’ve:
- Assisting several newcomers who knew nothing about putting up a blog using this free step-by-step guide (you’re currently reading) without spending a dollar to any fat-bellied website designer. It’s one of this blog’s most popular posts.In addition, my book “The 5-Day WordPress School – How To Become A WordPress Website Designer In 5 Days” is a #1 Amazon best-seller.
- Succeeded in removing many people’s worries and reasons for wanting to share their thoughts, better their financial status, and generate money from their writing. (This was my primary motivation for starting OnlineBloggingIncome.com.)
- Earned hundreds of dollars each month through affiliate offers and by charging others who wanted me to build up a blog or website for their various internet enterprises. This has allowed me to survive, pay my expenses, and live my life.
I didn’t say anything to gloat or to put myself on a pedestal.
No way, far from it.
I told you my story to inspire you and give you hope that you, too, can achieve your goals.
No matter who you are.
You can start a blog or website for yourself and get paid for it, no matter who you are.
So, whether you want to utilize your website to launch a product, teach a topic you’re passionate about, gain clients, publish a book, or generate money online, you’re off to a good start.
Get this straight:
I’m not talking of a free-hosted blog that comes with ugly, unprofessional and long url like www.yourwebsite.wordpress.com or www.yourwebsite.blogspot.com.
I mean a real blog just like the one you’re currently reading. I understand that launching a blog on free platforms has become the standard, particularly for newcomers.
But the fact is that most of these free platforms have a lot of drawbacks that can completely derail your efforts.
In case you didn’t know. When you host your blog on a free platform, all of the following will most likely happen to you:
- If you breach their confusing guidelines or their system bots erroneously designate your blog as spam, your blog can be terminated at any moment. Linda Ikeji’s blog, www.lindaikeji.blogspot.com, (a very popular Nigerian blog for entertainment news) was banned by Google on October 8, 2014, after numerous businesses submitted complaints about how she infringed their copyright photographs and content. Fortunately, her blog was eventually restored. Can you picture it?
- You can’t add ads on your site once you start generating visitors, nor can you conduct any type of affiliate marketing, as stated explicitly in their terms and conditions, unless you’re ready to split 50% of your income with them – that’s both cruel and inhumane. They also install ads on your site that you have no control over, which means they profit from your material while you suffer without earning a thing.
- You are not permitted to use custom emails such as Cyrus@onlineblogingincome.com, which will diminish your credibility and cause readers to label you as a spammer.
- You are not permitted to use plugins and awesome premium themes to beautify, customize, and create a cool template for your website. It’s no surprise that all free blogs look the same.
- You don’t have complete control because you’re on rented property and must follow certain standards and restrictions. As a result, your blog’s URL will normally conclude with the host’s name, such as myblog.wordpress.com or myblog.blogspot.com.
In fact, Matt Mullenweg, the founder of WordPress, summarized this in an interview:
“…When you host your site on WordPress.com, it’s like renting an apartment, as opposed to a self-hosted WordPress blog that you own entirely.
You can do whatever you want with a self-hosted WordPress blog. Break down walls and renovate whichever you like.
However, you are also responsible for maintenance (such as security updates, feature upgrades, backups, and so on). In contrast, WordPress.com does everything for you, but you give up some control. You can’t have a yard, and you can’t knock down walls…”
However, if you are ready to do it right from the start and invest a few dollars in other to develop an internet business based on your passion. You will undoubtedly use the potential of an internet career to:
- Establish yourself as your own boss.
Because you own your domain, you have complete control and independence with a self-hosted blog. This means you may monetise your site whatever you want without being constrained by any restrictions or tight requirements.
For example, I’m a website designer, and I simply offer my expertise to company owners, schools, etc. by giving them samples of websites that I’ve developed, and I make a lot of money from it.
- Make your blog’s design unique.
For additional functionality and features, there are dozens of themes and plugins available for use on a self-hosted blog specifically WordPress.
Most plugins come with a few-click installation procedure to assist raise your search engine optimization, improve your blog’s performance, incorporate a forum on your blog, build a membership site, and other fantastic features that are nearly hard to add on Blogger or WordPress.com. You can accomplish anything online with a self-hosted blog if you put on your thinking gear.
- Increase your credibility
When you offer important insights on your blog with your audience, it provides a favorable signal to them that you know what you’re talking about and positions you as an expert in your area.
A free-hosted blog, on the other hand, tarnishes your reputation and gives the impression that you aren’t serious.
For example, if you are a new brand or own an e-commerce site, you may gain the hearts and minds of new clients by using blogging to your advantage over competitors who simply slap up typical static web pages.
This will increase your authority, make people trust your services, and make them eager to pay for them.
And do you want to know the greatest part?
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get started with a self-hosted blog or website.
You may get started right away with just a few dollars (about $1.99 per month) and a few mouse clicks.
There are no difficult, convoluted, or nerve-racking codes to memorize.
Simply follow the instructions outlined below:
“Please note: If you get lost when setting up your blog using the instructions below, please contact me at Cyrus@onlinebloggingincome.com or +2348039185233, or leave a comment at the end of this post, and I’ll be more than happy to assist you out.”
How To Start a Self-hosted WordPress Blog: The Basic Resources You Need to Know
Here are the four main materials you’ll need to get your website up and running:
The domain name
This is your blog’s web address, which users will enter into their browser to view your blog. For example, the domain name of this blog (you’re currently reading) is www.onlinebloggingincome.com.
- Keep it brief, straightforward, and easy to remember when picking a domain name. (3 words is ideal)
- Avoid using dashes and ambiguous symbols, as they induce confusion.
- .com is preferred since it is more known to people.
- Take your time deciding on a solid name, but don’t get caught up in the pursuit of the ideal name.
A domain name would cost between $15 and $20 per year to register. But don’t worry, I’ll show you how to obtain it for a free without paying a dime if you follow the instructions and well laid out recommendations from this post.
I recommend that you read this post:
Because It provides 8 well-detailed tips for selecting a good domain name that will rank well in search engines.
Once you’ve decided on a suitable domain name. It’s time to move on to the next phase, which is web hosting. Let’s go:
Web hosting is simply the acquisition of a place or home on the internet for your blog. A hosting plan from a reliable web hosting company is required to host your self-hosted blog. Your blog would be unreachable and non-functional without a web hosting provider.
The following are the fundamental characteristics of an excellent web hosting service:
- A sufficient quantity of disk space: Disk space refers to the amount of online storage capacity (the stuff you contribute to your blog: articles, photographs, videos, banners, etc.) that has been allocated to your blog. Ipage, the web hosting provider I use for my blog, provides an unlimited storage space for beginners s you would have nothing to worry right from inception which is massive.
- Adequate monthly bandwidth: Bandwidth is the quantity of data that has been allotted for the various activities that will take place on your blog. These actions may include: when someone enters your site, opens a page, downloads your ebook or photographs, views your slideshows, or watches a video on your blog… and so on. As a result, selecting a decent monthly bandwidth is critical in other to avoid it being depleted before the end of the month.
- User-friendly control panel: Your web host’s control panel should be user-friendly and simple to browse for quick access to the numerous tools, applications, and services provided by the web hosting provider.
- Reliable technical support: A good rule of thumb is to use web hosts that have a live chat support system, which allows you to have a live chat session with one of their staff members anytime you experience an issue. Most web hosts may be unresponsive to your difficulties, so pick your web host carefully.
Ipage is the web hosting provider that I use for OnlineBloggingIncome, and it’s an excellent one. Ipage is a foreign web hosting provider that I enjoy using since they provide me with:
- Reliability: 99.9% uptime is not something that many hosts can guarantee or give.
- Speed: Ipage speeds up your website or blog, which helps to enhance your search engine rankings and lower your blog’s bounce rate.
- Round-the-clock customer service: Some hosts may be poor at assisting their clients. Some hosts may respond to emails after three days, even if you’re completely upset and never pick up the phone. When I encountered a problem logging into my admin-dashboard, I called Ipage and it was resolved within minutes. What a relief!
- Affordability: Despite the excellent value it offers, Ipage is one of the most economical hosting services available. They are now offering a promotion with a huge discount, so you just have to pay $2 per month and you’ll be given a free domain name registration for life. To be honest, most reputable web hosts do not come at this price.
- Free website transfer: While most web providers charge up to $100 to transfer your blog from another host to their server which is just insane, Ipage values its clients so highly that they provide this service for free which is amazing.
- 30-day money-back guarantee: Because of the high quality of their services, Ipage provide a 30-day money-back guarantee. This demonstrates that they are confident in their services – so you can just try them out and if you are not happy within 30 days, you can request a refund. You have absolutely nothing to lose.
- No Limits: You may host many websites on a single account and have an infinite number of e-mail addresses. In fact, with the beginning package, you may host up to three websites at no extra price. Can you beat that?
- Free domain name registration: Ipage gives you a free domain name registration of your choice for a year when you buy any of their web hosting plan and as long as you keep your account with them, they will constantly renew it for you for free which is massive.
- $200 advertising credits for Google advertisement: Ipage gives you $200 worth of advertisement credit for you to use on Google, Bing, and other search engines to advertise your website. This will definitely put your new blog on a lot of eyeballs and skyrocket your traffic which one of the challenges most new website face. This will really boost your blog’s profit potential and boost your ranking in the result pages of Google.
Since, I’ve discovered the great service Ipage offers, I’ve never looked back and for several years I’ve been using them, I’ve never had any issues with them.
Right now, Ipage is running a promo which offers a hosting plan for $2 per month plus a free domain name registration for a year as long as you keep your account with them, they will continue renewing the registration for you.
Now, that’s awesome!
So grab this chance while it last by checking out Ipage right away. When you’ve decided your web host, it’s time to move to the next step below:
Installing WordPress Content Management System
WordPress content management system is a blogging software that makes it possible for you to write on your blog.
This is exactly what I use for OnlineBloggingIncome. If you host your blog or website with Ipage, you’ll definitely have no issues installing the WordPress software, as this took me 10 minutes to install the software on this very blog.
So how do you go about it? Simple!
In 3 easy steps, you can set up your own blog in 30 minutes or less (no prior knowledge is required).
Step 1: Get a hosting account from Ipage
- Go to: Ipage official website (don’t worry, the link will open in another window so you won’t lose this tutorial)
- When the page loads, click on the “Get Started” button
- On the next page, enter the domain name of your choice (this would be registered for you for free for a whole year as you can see from the screenshot above) and then choose the billing plan of your choice, You can choose 1 year, 2 years or 3 years depending on your preference and budget. But longer the billing cycle, the more discount you get. Choose 1 year billing cycle for a start and click on “Continue”.
- On the next page, Ipage adds some addons like Domain Privacy and Protection. You can remove this by clicking the X button as you don’t really need it. If you choose to add privacy and protection to your domain, you can leave it but it’s not necessary as I’ll show you how to protect your website once it goes live. Click on “Continue”.
- You’ll get a popup message trying to convince you to get the addon but just ignore it by clicking “Remove From Cart”.
- Then, click on “Continue To Add-ons”.
- Ipage would automatically add more addons (Sitelock and Website Backup & Restore), just uncheck them as you don’t need them. You can always secure your website yourself and the backup of your website is always on their database which you can always request for since you’ve a hosting account with them.
- You’ll be taken to the next page where you would fill your billing information and account information (First Name, Last Name, Email address, Phone number, Street Address, Country, State). Just ensure you fill in your best email address and phone number because that’s where Ipage will send your hosting account details. Then enter your credit card details or you can pay with Paypal. Once you’re done, click on “Buy Now”.
You should see a pop up message that your order was successful.
Please Note: Ipage will send you an email containing your hosting details and your username and password. You’ll need this when logging into your control panel, so keep it safe.
So your next step is to install the WordPress content management system on your domain name. This will enable you write on your blog.
Important Reminder: Please Note: Ipage would send you an email containing the receipt of your order and your login username and password. You’ll need that in the future to access your hosting account.
If you encounter any problem here, just give me a call on +2348039185233 or contact me at Cyrus@onlinebloggingincome.com and I will be more then willing to help you out.
Step 2: How To Install WordPress on Your Domain
The next step is to install the WordPress content management system on your domain. This will enable you write on your blog.
Let’s get started:
- Visit your domain/cpanel. (Replace “yourdomain with the domain name you registered)
- Enter your username and password which was sent to you by Ipage.
You’ll be directed to your control panel where you can install the WordPress content management system.
- Scroll down and locate the “Softaculous Apps Installer” and click on WordPress.
- On the next page, click on “Install” and wait for few minutes for installation process to start
- When it completes, you’ll taken to a page that looks like this image below:
Here’s how I recommend you fill the details in the specific field:
- The protocol box should be http://
- The domain box should be your domain name.
- The directory box should be left empty.
- Fill your site name and site description.
- Uncheck “Enable Multiple (WPMU).
- Fill your Admin Username and Admin Password. This will be the details you’ll need to enter to log in to your WordPress Admin dashboard to write blog posts and make other necessary changes to your blog, so keep it safe. When choosing your Admin Email make sure it’s an email address you check frequently.
- Check the Limit Login Attempt (Loginizer) box. This helps to protect your site against brute force attacks by limiting the number of login attempts for your WordPress installation. If selected Loginizer plugin will be installed and activated with your installation.
Important Note: Do not choose “admin” or your domain name as your admin username because this is what hackers first try out when they intend to use brute-force to log into your website. Also, make sure your Admin Password is very strong.
- Click on it and fill the details as follows:
- Check the Update Notification box. This will ensure you receive email notifications whenever there is an update for the installation.
- Check the Auto Upgrade. This will ensure that this installation will be automatically upgraded to the latest version when a new one is available.
- Check Auto Update Plugins. This will ensure all the active WordPress plugins installed for this installation will automatically upgraded to the latest version when they are available.
- Check Auto Upgrade wordpress themes. This will ensure all the active wordpress themes for this installation will be automatically upgraded to the latest version when they are available.
- Check Automated Backups. This will ensure Softaculous will take automated back ups via CRON as per frequency you select.
- Choose 4 for Backup Rotation. If the backup rotation limit is reached, Softaculous will delete the oldest backup. The back ups will utilize your space so choose the backup rotation as per the space available on your server.
- Then choose any theme of your choice and finally click on “Install”.
- When the installation process complete, the next page should look like this:
If you’ve finally reached this stage, congratulations! You’ve just installed WordPress on your domain name.
Your administrative url is where you visit to make changes to your blog and add content.
Step 3: Login to Your Brand-New WordPress Site and Publish Your First Post.
It could be scary at first but the post doesn’t have to be perfect; it just has to be published.
So go ahead and share your thoughts to the whole world.
- Go to http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin (Replace “yourdomain” with your domain name).
- Login with the username and password you chose when you installed WordPress in step 2 above.
- The next page displays the dashboard, which is the “back-end” (only you can access this) of your website from where you set everything that appears on the “front-end.”
- On the left side of your dashboard screen are menus. Position the mouse on “Posts” and click “Add New” from the sub-menus that will pop out.
- On the next page, enter the title of your post in the first tab and paste the content of your post in the second tab. Click “Publish”.
- On the next page, click “View post” to see the post you just published on the front-end of your website or self-hosted blog as it will appear to your visitor.
If you’ve successfully reached this stage, congratulations!
You can now start spreading your thoughts and website links to your friends, family and to the whole world in less than 30 minutes.
NB: The whole process above took me only about 9 minutes. But if you’re not familiar with steps, 30 minutes or less is fine for you.
Fun fact: Minutes after opening my web hosting account with Ipage, they called me on phone, thanking me for using their service and offering to help if I have any challenge. How sweet!
If you encounter any challenge while following the above steps, you can leave a comment below or contact me at Cyrus@onlinebloggingincome.com and I’ll be more than willing to help you out.
Can you afford to miss this?
The price is a special promo which may close at anytime. You have today. So go to Ipage right away, if you think this is something you might need.
I Promised A Gift, Right? Here You Go!
If you successfully used this step by step tutorial to start your WordPress blog, then send me an email at Emmanuel@onlinebloggingincome.com or better yet use the contact form and I’ll send you a free copy of my best selling book: The 5-Day WordPress School – How To Become A WordPress Website Designer In 5 Days Or Less.
My own way of saying thank you for following my tutorial and sticking to my recommendation, you rock!
Affiliate Disclosure: This page contains my Ipage affiliate link, which means when you purchase through the link, I get a commission (at no extra cost to you) to support my work and maintain this blog for a better user experience. But this didn’t influence my recommendation because I have personal experiences with them and genuinely trust their services. Thanks for your support!